Regional NewsTop Story

South Sudan’s VP Machar accuses Uganda of violating arms embargo

South Sudan’s Vice President Riek Machar addresses a news conference in Juba, South Sudan April 5, 2020

March 25 — South Sudan’s First Vice President, Riek Machar, has accused Uganda of violating a United Nations arms embargo by entering the country with armoured and air force units, and conducting airstrikes there.

In a letter addressed to the U.N., African Union and the IGAD regional bloc, Machar said Uganda’s military intervention in South Sudan had violated a 2018 peace deal, which ended a brutal five-year civil war.

Uganda said it had deployed troops in South Sudan earlier this month at the request of the government there, following a breakdown in the turbulent relationship between Machar and President Salva Kiir.

In early March security forces rounded up several of Machar’s most senior allies, following clashes in South Sudan’s northeast between the military and the White Army militia, a force the government accuses Machar of supporting.

Machar’s SPLM-IO party denies any ongoing links with the White Army, which mostly comprises armed ethnic Nuer who fought alongside Machar against Kiir’s largely Dinka forces during the 2013-2018 conflict.

The U.N. has warned a rise in hate speech could plunge the country back to war along ethnic lines.

Uganda fears a full-blown conflict in South Sudan could send waves of refugees across the border and potentially create instability.

“The Ugandan forces are currently taking part in airstrikes against civilians,” Machar said in the March 23 letter, urging pressure on Uganda to withdraw its troops.

A spokesperson for Machar’s office verified the authenticity of the letter.

Uganda and South Sudan are yet to comment about the potential violation of the arms embargo, which has been in place since July 2018.

South Sudan’s army attacked SPLM-IO forces stationed at a camp near the capital Juba on Monday night, the party’s military spokesperson Lam Paul Gabriel said on X.

Major General Lul Ruai Koang, the government military spokesperson, said he would issue a statement once he had gathered all the relevant information.

Machar’s spokesperson Pal Mai Deng said on Tuesday that intelligence officers in Lakes State had arrested four SPLM-IO officials and shut down their office in the state’s capital Rumbek.

South Sudan’s information minister Michael Makuei and intelligence service spokesperson John Kumuri did not immediately respond to requests for comment on the arrests.

Last week Uganda’s parliament retrospectively approved the deployment in South Sudan, first announced on March 11.

Related posts

Former KCCA Leaders Committed to High Court

Barbra Zeka

Parliament Set To Inspect Lubowa Hospital.

Dean Lubowa Saava

From Ombudsman to Personal Vendetta: The IGG’s Pursuit of Lands Commissioner Mugaino

Dean Lubowa Saava

JustIn Kabaka Mutebi Finally Home: Kabaka Ronald Muwenda Mutebi II Returns Home After The Controversial Stay in Namibia

Dean Lubowa Saava

UN Security Council considers action on Sudan war

ndiwalanakiwa@gmail.com

The People’s Progressive Party (PPP) has officially joined Democratic alliance (DA)

admin

Airtel Uganda Accused as Officials Allegedly Turned a Blind Eye

Barbra Zeka

UPDF Salutes Retiring Generals Who Served with Honor

Barbra Zeka

Tanzania court charges main opposition party leader with treason

ndiwalanakiwa@gmail.com

Mozambicans flee to neighbouring Malawi amid post-election unrest

ndiwalanakiwa@gmail.com

Leave a Comment