Regional News

Sudan capital gets first aid convoy since war began

Khartoum was in “desperate need” of the food supplies, one humanitarian worker said

Khartoum, December 27 —  A convoy carrying food aid has arrived in Sudan’s capital, Khartoum, for the first time since civil war erupted in April 2023.

The country is currently experiencing the “world’s worst hunger crisis”, according to the United Nations, as a result of fighting between the army and the paramilitary Rapid Support Forces (RSF).

When trucks loaded with aid rolled into south Khartoum on Thursday, there were “tears of laughter and joy”.

Aid agencies have long complained that security threats and roadblocks – set up by the warring sides – have hampered vital deliveries

In order for Thursday’s breakthrough to take place, UN agencies and Sudanese community groups negotiated with the army and the paramilitary Rapid Support Forces.

“There were tears, tears of laughter and joy and tears of a lot of effort and exhaustion from arranging this… it was quite a moment,” Ms Tariq, who works with Sudanese humanitarian group Emergency Response Rooms, told the BBC’s Newsday programme.

The convoy consisted of 28 trucks. Unicef – which sent five of the vehicles – said it was able to deliver “life-saving” food and health supplies to Al Bashayer Hospital and other health facilities in Khartoum.

“Here in Khartoum, [we are in] desperate need of this aid. We’ve been waiting for it and we’ve been trying so many ways and methods to go around this, but the only way to help reduce the famine effect in Khartoum right now, is to receive this aid,” Ms Tariq said.

Just days earlier, an independent group of food security experts warned that Sudan is sliding into a “widening famine crisis”.

About half the population – 24.6 million people – is in urgent need of food aid, said the Integrated Food Phase Classification (IPC).

The army and RSF had jointly staged a coup in 2021, but a power struggle between their commanders plunged the country into a civil war 20 months ago.

In May, US special envoy for Sudan Tom Perriello said that some estimates suggested up to 150,000 people had been killed in the conflict.

More than 11 million people have been forced from their homes.

Various mediation efforts aimed at ending the conflict between the army and the RSF have so far failed.

Related posts

AFCON 23: Angola Is Out.

Dean Lubowa Saava

The Origins Of The Cesarean Section (C-Section).

Cathy Mirembe

Kagame’s Last Minute Withdrawal halts Rwanda-DRC peace talks

ndiwalanakiwa@gmail.com

A New Era For Senegal Under The Leadership Of Faye.

Dean Lubowa Saava

South Africa Moves to Unity Government: Paul Mashatile Named Deputy President

Dean Lubowa Saava

Sudanese coalition led by paramilitary RSF announces parallel government

ndiwalanakiwa@gmail.com

Uganda Martyrs Day Celebrations, Some Trekking Pilgrims Have Already Arrived.

admin

Prince Edward’s Visit In Uganda.

Dean Lubowa Saava

Pope expels a bishop and 9 other people over ‘sadistic’ abuses

ndiwalanakiwa@gmail.com

Mali, Burkina Faso, and Niger Launch 0.5% Levy to Fund New Sahel States Alliance

Dean Lubowa Saava

Leave a Comment