Trending & Latest News

Floods kill at least 110 people after heavy rain in Nigeria

Floods sweep away more than 50 houses in Nigeria

May 30 — At least 110 people have died in floods caused by torrential rain in central Nigeria.

The downpours lasted for several hours, said the head of the Niger State Emergency Management Agency (Nsema), Abullahi Baba-Arah.

He added that “surging flood water submerged and washed away over 50 residential houses with their occupants” in the town of Mokwa.

The Nigerian government has expressed its “profound sorrow” over the floods, with the Minister of Information and National Orientation, Mohammed Idris, saying that security and emergency agencies have been directed to assist in the search and rescue operation.

According to Nsema, the Tiffin Maza and Anguwan Hausawa districts of Mokwa were worst affected.

Mokwa’s District Head, Muhammad Shaba Aliyu, said it has been “60 years” since the community had suffered this kind of flooding.

“I beg the government to support us,” Mr Aliyu said.

The search and rescue operation is still ongoing and many more people are still at risk, authorities say.

Nigeria often experiences flooding during the rainy season, which usually lasts from April to October.

The authorities have warned of heavy downpours in at least 15 of the country’s 36 states.

Last year, many parts of northern Nigeria experienced heavy rainfall and flooding which caused deaths, displacement of people and destruction of houses and infrastructure.

The country also suffered severe flooding in 2022, which forced around 1.3 million people out of the homes and caused more than 600 deaths.

Related posts

Nigerian Boxer Gabriel “Success” Olanrewaju Dies After Collapsing in the Ring

Barbra Zeka

Rwanda-backed rebels in Congo executed civilians

ndiwalanakiwa@gmail.com

Hajat Namyalo: A Shining Example of Faith and Resilience

Cathy Mirembe

Prioritizing Condoms Over Justice: A Call For Balance in Mao’s Ministry

Cathy Mirembe

LEGAL MAZE: Court Defers Decision on Kamoga’s Fresh Application to Halt Fraud Trial Against Him in the Magistrates Court to 18th August 2025

Jako

Rest Well Ssegirinya: Justice Alice Komuhangi Drops Murder  Charges against the late Hon Seegirinya  

Dean Lubowa Saava

Top Judge Calls for Urgent Probe into Entebbe Magistrate After Recusal From Fraud Case

Barbra Zeka

Music Feud : Gravity Omutujju VS Katikiro of Buganda

Barbra Zeka

Thousands flee Tehran, Trump considers joining Israel in strikes

ndiwalanakiwa@gmail.com

At least 60 people mainly the elderly killed in north China flooding

ndiwalanakiwa@gmail.com

Leave a Comment