international News

Rwanda in talks to receive migrants deported from US

Rwandan Foreign Minister Olivier Nduhungirehe says that Rwanda believes in giving migrants “another chance”

May 5 — Rwanda is in the early stages of talks to receive immigrants deported from the United States.

Speaking on the country’ s national television late on Sunday, Rwandan Foreign Minister Olivier Nduhungirehe said said the government was in the “spirit” of giving “another chance to migrants who have problems across the world”.

Nduhungirehe added that the talks with the US were continuing, and it was too early to predict their outcome.

Rwanda has in recent years positioned itself as a destination country for migrants that Western countries would like to remove, despite concerns by rights groups that Kigali does not respect some of the most fundamental human rights.

Kigali signed an agreement with Britain in 2022 to take in thousands of asylum seekers from the UK before the deal was scrapped last year by then newly-elected Prime Minister Keir Starmer.

“We are in discussions with the United States,” Nduhungirehe said in an interview with the state broadcaster Rwanda TV.

“It has not yet reached a stage where we can say exactly how things will proceed, but the talks are ongoing…still in the early stages.”

Trump launched a sweeping crackdown on immigration and attempted to freeze the U.S. refugee resettlement program after the start of his second term in January.

His administration has pushed aggressively to deport immigrants who are in the country illegally and other non-citizens.

The United Nations refugee agency (UNHCR) warned there was a risk some migrants sent to Rwanda could be returned to countries from which they had fled. Kigali denied the allegations and accused UNHCR of lying.

Last month the U.S. deported to Rwanda a resettled Iraqi refugee whom it had long tried to extradite in response to Iraqi government claims that he worked for the Islamic State, according to a U.S. official and an internal email.

The Supreme Court in April temporarily blocked Trump’s administration – which has invoked a rarely used wartime law – from deporting a group of Venezuelan migrants it accused of being gang members.

Related posts

Ghana opens up visa-free travel to all Africans

ndiwalanakiwa@gmail.com

Burundi-Rwanda Tensions Escalate: President Ndayishimiye Alleges Rwandan Attack Plans

Ssekanyumiza Amansa Bwino

Trump Denies Third Term Ambitions Amid Speculation and Constitutional Debate

Barbra Zeka

Rwanda and Belgium Cut Diplomatic Ties Amid DRC Conflict

Barbra Zeka

Sudanese Army Reclaims Presidential Palace in Khartoum, Turning the Tide in Civil War

Barbra Zeka

China offers parents $1,500 in bid to boost births

ndiwalanakiwa@gmail.com

Chad Responds to U.S. Visa Ban with Reciprocal Measures Amid Broader Travel Restrictions

Barbra Zeka

Sudanese army recaptures Khartoum airport from civil war rivals

ndiwalanakiwa@gmail.com

Easter Delights: A Family’s Joyful Celebration

Ssekanyumiza Amansa Bwino

Convicted war criminal Lubanga announces new rebel group in east Congo

ndiwalanakiwa@gmail.com

Leave a Comment