international News

Convicted war criminal Lubanga announces new rebel group in east Congo

Former Congolese warlord Thomas Lubanga awaits the judges’ verdict in the courtroom of the International Criminal Court (ICC) in The Hague, December 1, 2014

March 31 — A convicted war criminal, Thomas Lubanga, hiding in Uganda has announced a new rebel movement the Convention for the Popular Revolution (CPR), to topple the government in eastern Congo’s Ituri province, creating another potential security threat in the war-scarred region.

The formation of CPR by Lubanga, an Ituri native, comes as Congo’s army faces an unprecedented advance by Rwandan-backed M23 rebels elsewhere in eastern Congo.

The International Criminal Court first convicted Thomas Lubanga in 2012 on charges of recruiting child soldiers and sentenced him to 14 years in prison.

He was released in 2020 and President Felix Tshisekedi appointed him to a task force to bring peace to Ituri. But in 2022 he was taken hostage for two months by a rebel group, which he blames on the government, and is now based in Uganda.

In written responses to questions from Reuters, Lubanga said the CPR had both political and military elements, including armed men in three areas of Ituri.

Bringing peace to the area “requires an immediate change in governance and government,” he said, though he added that the group has not launched military operations.

It is unclear how many combatants Lubanga might control. U.N. experts last year accused him of mobilising fighters to support a local militia and M23.

Congo’s presidency did not respond to a request for comment on Monday.

Ituri has been rocked by violence by various armed groups for decades. Doctors Without Borders last week described “a renewed spike in atrocities” that had killed more than 200 civilians and displaced around 100,000 people since the beginning of the year.

Ugandan troops are present in Ituri to help the government fight the Allied Democratic Forces (ADF), which is affiliated with the Islamic State and stages brutal attacks on villages.

Related posts

Pope Francis dies aged 88, Vatican announces

ndiwalanakiwa@gmail.com

Trump hits 10 African countries with travel ban and restrictions

ndiwalanakiwa@gmail.com

More than 100 humanitarian groups warn of mass starvation in Gaza

ndiwalanakiwa@gmail.com

New era starts in Syria after rebels put an end to Assad’s 50 year-brutal rule

ndiwalanakiwa@gmail.com

UN calls for probe into mass graves at Libya detention centres

ndiwalanakiwa@gmail.com

USAID to Furlough Thousands of Employees Amid Funding Cuts

Barbra Zeka

China offers parents $1,500 in bid to boost births

ndiwalanakiwa@gmail.com

Five Al Jazeera journalists killed in Israeli strike in Gaza

ndiwalanakiwa@gmail.com

Access Denied: Kiir Asked Odinga to Seek Museveni’s Permission to See Machar

Dean Lubowa Saava

Duterte’s Arrest Marks a Milestone for Justice and Accountability in International Law

Barbra Zeka

Leave a Comment