National NewsParliamentary Report

Why  Museveni  Banned Boarding Sections In Government Schools.

President Yoweri Museveni has ordered the abolition of boarding sections in Universal Secondary Education (USE) schools, stating that the education-for-all strategy was designed to be affordable and community-based.

In a televised national address on Friday, Museveni said day schooling should remain the foundation of the Universal Primary Education (UPE) and USE programmes.

“Education-for-all programmes (UPE and USE) were designed as a low-cost strategy anchored on day schools. 

Do not mix up education with sleeping, eating, etc,” he said.

“Let the schools be near the learners in the parishes for primary schools and sub-counties for secondary schools so that the learners walk or cycle from home to school and back,” Museveni said.

Museveni clarify that eliminating boarding costs would make education more accessible and equitable, allowing more children to attend school without the financial burden of accommodation and meals.

“Learners should pack lunch like we did in the 1950s and 60s” Museveni.

 By removing the cost of accommodation and food, education becomes affordable for all, not expensive for only some,” he said.

The member of parliament Joseph Ssewungu of Butambala west constituency raises Concern Over Museveni’s Boarding Sections banne  in USE Schools the announcement.

Follows concerns as raised in Parliament earlier this week by Kalungu West MP Ssewungu criticised the growing trend of boarding sections in USE schools.

The National unity platform (NUP) political party legislator argued that this practice had become a money-making scheme that undermined the government’s policy on free education.

“The Ministry of Education should pay keen attention because a number of USE schools have developed a system of opening up boarding sections,” he said.

“These schools are meant for day students because parents cannot afford fees, yet some rural schools are now charging parents for boarding.

“In some cases, boarding sections are being made compulsory for Senior Four candidates, and now some children are dropping out of school,” Ssewungu stated.

The MP revealed that some parents are paying over Shs 700,000 in USE schools, even though these institutions receive capitation grants from the government.

He urged the Ministry of Education to take action, arguing that boarding fees contradict the principle of free education.

Related posts

Opportunity Awaits 10,000 Constables to Be Recruited by Uganda Police

Barbra Zeka

VALUABLE EXPERIENCE: Law Students To Benefit From Judicial Practice At East African Law Moot Competition.

admin

Fatal Accident Involving Uganda Cranes Bus Claims One Life

Barbra Zeka

Abed Bwanika Goes Bare Knuckle With Bobi Wine At The Burial Of Pasikali In Masaka

Dean Lubowa Saava

Ugandans To Pay UGX 300,000 For National ID Replacement.

Dean Lubowa Saava

Nup’S Ticket To Replace Ssegirinya In Kawempe By-Election Is For Sale

Dean Lubowa Saava

General Muhoozi Kainerugaba threats to US ambassador.

admin

Misuse of Public Funds Balloons Uganda’s National Debt to Hits 98% of GDP: A Wake-Up Call for Economic Reforms

admin

The Disorganisation In Opposition Parties Intensifies As 2026 Approaches.

admin

Former Besigye’s aid, Gen. Tumukunde Set for Showdown in Rukungiri Municipality Race

Dean Lubowa Saava

Leave a Comment