Breaking NewsDeep State PoliticsInvestigatives FilesJustice & Crime ReportNational NewsTop Story

Court again denies Kiiza Besigye, Lutale bail in treason case, comes under criticism

Aug 8  – High court in Kampala has on Friday refused to grant bail to veteran opposition leader, Dr. Kiiza Besigye and his co-accused, Hajji Obeid Lutale, for the third time citing that there’s no documentary evidence had been presented to show that the two had appeared before and remanded by the military court.

Delivering his ruling, Justice Emmanuel Baguma noted that while claims of previous detention may exist in public domain the court could not rely on matters not supported by evidence properly adduced before it

“Courts of law are guided by evidence adduced before it to determine issues in controversy. Judicial notice could not be extended to public narratives without official documentation,” the Judge noted

Justice Baguma though he dismissed the bail application, he ordered that the applicants case be given immediate priority for hearing and directed the deputy registrar of the court to list the case without delay citing the applicants right to liberty and the need to expeditious trial.

Justice Emmanuel Baguma said the 180-day maximum period before mandatory bail is granted only began when he was remanded in the civilian court on February 21, which means he falls short by 12 days in order to secure bail.

In their affidavits the applicants claimed that they were abducted by Ugandan security operatives in Nairobi Kenya on November 16th. 2024 where they had travelled to attend a book launch at the invitation of Kenyan politician Martha Karua. They said they were illegally transported to Uganda detained incommunicado at Makindye military barracks and later arraigned before the General Court Martial on 20th November 2024 and charged under the UPDF act. They objected to the jurisdiction of the military court on the ground that they are civilians     

The case has raised concerns among government critics and rights groups, about a crackdown ahead of Uganda’s national election early next year in which President Yoweri Museveni, 80, is seeking re-election.

The government denies targeting opposition figures and says all those who have been detained have committed crimes.

Related posts

Kabaka Mutebi II’s Legacy Lives On: New School Building Officially Opened

Ssekanyumiza Amansa Bwino

Government Allocates Funds to Upgrade Uganda Martyrs’ Shrine and Tourism Sites

Ssekanyumiza Amansa Bwino

Museveni Sends URA ‘Supervisor’, David Kalemera, to Foreign Affairs 

Dean Lubowa Saava

Happy Easter.

admin

Dr. Mulindwa Extends Compassion: Six-Month Salary Extension and Airlifting of The Body”

Ssekanyumiza Amansa Bwino

“IS UGANDA STILL THE PEARL OF AFRICA?” The Fight To Restore Its Wildlife Population.

admin

MPs Urge Immediate Swearing-in of Kawempe North Winner Amid Delays

Barbra Zeka

President Yoweri Kaguta Museveni’s Commissioning of the Bunyoro Skilling Hub: A Commitment to Empowering Uganda’s Youth

Ssekanyumiza Amansa Bwino

China-Africa summit 2024 opens in Beijing with high expectations for both sides

ndiwalanakiwa@gmail.com

DEMOCRACY OF TOLERANCE IN UGANDA

Dean Lubowa Saava

Leave a Comment