Breaking News

Kenya’s government appeals for protests to stop, but court suspends ban

NAIROBI, July 18—Kenya’s government on Thursday ratcheted up its appeal for weeks of protests to stop and police tried to ban demonstrations in the heart of the capital Nairobi only to be overruled in court.

Police introduced the ban saying the protests, which have claimed at least 50 lives since erupting nearly a month ago, had been infiltrated by criminal gangs. But a court on Thursday suspended the ban while a case challenging it was heard.

Some activists called for people to gather on Thursday with camping gear to “occupy” Uhuru Park adjacent to the city centre, amid a heavy police presence across Nairobi.

The youth-led protests across Kenya against proposed tax hikes have continued even after President William Ruto withdrew the legislation and fired almost all of his cabinet.

Activists say they want Ruto to resign and are calling for reforms to clean up corruption and address poor governance.

The country has lost approximately 6 billion Kenyan shillings ($46 million) as a result of the demonstrations, government spokesperson Isaac Mwaura said, without explaining how he arrived at that figure.

“The president and the government at large (have) heard you loud and clear and we are ready to act on your concerns,” Mwaura said in a televised statement.

The protests, which have been organised online without the apparent support of opposition political figures, have created the biggest crisis of Ruto’s two years in power.

“We have credible intelligence that organised criminal groups are planning to take advantage of the ongoing protests to execute their attacks, including looting,” chief of police Douglas Kanja Kiricho said in a statement late on Wednesday.

“No demonstrations will be permitted in the Nairobi Central Business District and its surroundings until further notice.”

Kenya’s High Court in Nairobi suspended the police order until a case filed by public interest litigation group Katiba Institute was heard and ruled upon, the court order said.

Related posts

Man sets himself on fire near parliament

Barbra Zeka

Thousands protest in Israel over hostage deaths, as union calls general strike

ndiwalanakiwa@gmail.com

Kenyan President William Ruto Fires Entire Cabinet Amidst Ongoing Protests

Cathy Mirembe

Police, Army disperse NUP’s meeting, arrest officials

ndiwalanakiwa@gmail.com

SAD: Chameleon Has Lost His Elder Brother.

admin

Bobi Wine has tasked government to release Dr Kizza Besigye.

admin

Congo rebels reach centre of eastern city in major escalation

ndiwalanakiwa@gmail.com

President Museveni Commissions 132kV Power Transmission Line in Nebbi District, New Infrastructure Set to Boost Economic Growth and Electrification in West Nile Region

Cathy Mirembe

Dubai Submerged In Floods.

admin

UCC Suspends Pearl FM’s License: Over Kawempe North by-elections

Dean Lubowa Saava

Leave a Comment