international NewsTrending & Latest News

Fighting calms in Libyan capital after truce announced

Libyan Soldiers of the 444 Brigade stand guard at Abu Salim area, in Tripoli, Libya, May 13, 2025

May 14 — The worst fighting in Libya’s capital for years calmed down on Wednesday an hour after the government announced a ceasefire, Tripoli residents said, with no immediate statement from authorities on how many people had been killed.

Clashes broke out late on Monday after the killing of a major militia leader. After calming on Tuesday morning, the fighting reignited overnight, with major battles rocking districts across the entire city.

“Regular forces, in coordination with the relevant security authorities, have begun taking the necessary measures to ensure calm, including the deployment of neutral units,” the government’s defence ministry said.

The ministry said the neutral units it was deploying around sensitive sites were from the police force, which does not carry heavy weapons.

The United Nations Libya mission UNSMIL said it was “deeply alarmed by the escalating violence in densely populated neighbourhoods of Tripoli” and urgently called for a ceasefire.

Monday’s clashes had appeared to consolidate the power of Abdulhamid al-Dbeibah, prime minister of the divided country’s Government of National Unity (GNU) and an ally of Turkey.

However, any prolonged fighting within Tripoli risks drawing in factions from outside the capital, potentially leading to a wider escalation between Libya’s many armed players after years of relative calm.

The main fighting on Wednesday was between the Dbeibah-aligned 444 Brigade and the Special Deterrence Force (Rada), the last major armed Tripoli faction not currently in his camp, the English-language Libyan Observer reported.

Fighting also erupted in western areas of Tripoli that have historically been a gateway for armed factions from Zawiya, a town to the west of the capital.

Tripoli residents trapped in their homes by the fighting voiced horror at the sudden eruption of violence, which had followed weeks of growing tensions among armed factions.

“It’s terrorizing to witness all this intense fighting. I had my family in one room to avoid random shelling,” said a father of three in the Dahra area.

Related posts

The Unexpected Collaboration: Fresh Kid Meets With His Roll Model DJ Arch

Ssekanyumiza Amansa Bwino

The Election of a New Pope: A Time-Honored Tradition

Cathy Mirembe

Miria Kalule Obote’s Son Joins Kawempe North MP Race As Independent Candidate

Ssekanyumiza Amansa Bwino

Museveni Celebrates Fresh Faces in Party’s Leadership

Barbra Zeka

Jose Chameleone’s Sobriety Vow A Turning Point for Uganda’s Music Industry

Barbra Zeka

US, Colombia reach deal on deportations; tariff, sanctions put on hold

ndiwalanakiwa@gmail.com

PSG Reach UCL Final with 2-1 Win Over Arsenal

Barbra Zeka

13 UPDF Soldiers Arrested After Armed Clash with Wakiso Police Over Land Dispute

Barbra Zeka

Museveni Tells Ugandans: ‘Stop Begging Me’ Ahead of 2026 Elections

Barbra Zeka

Floods kill at least 110 people after heavy rain in Nigeria

ndiwalanakiwa@gmail.com

Leave a Comment